The men and women we served at our new location in Yonkers were so appreciative of all that we provided during last night’s Soup Run. We served 75 chicken dinners, gave out toiletry kits, sweatshirts, socks, handmade hats, underwear, T-shirts and jeans. The wind was whipping up last night and the warm items were very much in need. One of our guest was wearing sandals and we know he was smiling, even through his mask, when we gave him two pairs of socks.
We made two stops: the Y.M.C.A. Temporary Shelter for Men and the Yonkers Y.W.C.A., which provide temporary and transitional housing. Yonkers has approximately 50% of the homeless population in Westchester County, which is one of the wealthiest communities in the nation. We set up tables and our guests accepted virtually all that we offered to them. In only a couple of instances did a guest say that they did not need an item. And you never know what will be needed – even a few very large size jeans that we didn’t think anyone could use were accepted by men and women.
It’s hard to imagine a more grateful group. With few exceptions, everyone thanked us for remembering them and providing a bit of sustenance.This month we are especially thankful to the following:
- Minos Samoladas – Financial Support
- Kathy Tzortzidis – November Soup Run Sponsor
- Manny Louros – Meals
- Cathy, Stephen, Dean and Nicholas Liakas (https://www.liakaslaw.com/ ) – Sweatshirts
- Katina Papademetriou – Fleece-lined jeans
- Zoe & Elle McMahon – Socks and Masks
- Melina Morris and Bombas (https://bombas.com/pages/giving-back ) – Socks
- Georgeann Mavrovitis, Laurie Curtis, Alexandra Speres and Maryann Koutsis – Toiletry Kits
- Suzanne Negrin – Hand crocheted hats
- Alexandra King – Handknit hats (https://www.etsy.com/shop/HandknitMercantile?ref=search_shop_redirect )
Your support and participation in this important outreach are so very much appreciated. At a time when hunger in our communities is increasing, we are thankful for the unwavering commitment from so many. Donations of new men’s and women’s underwear, T-shirts, sweatshirts, hats and gloves are the only items we are accepting at this time. Please support our next Soup Run, which is scheduled for December 17, a week before Christmas Eve. Wishing you a bountiful and joyous Thanksgiving. Bless you and stay safe and healthy.