Our guests were lined up, patiently waiting for our 7-car caravan to arrive with food, clothing and toiletries during last night’s Soup Run. We served chicken, veggies, rice and snacks. With an abundance of clothing donations, for which we are immensely grateful, we helped warm up hundreds of individuals on 33rd Street, in Penn Station and at the drop-in center.
One of our regular guests, Charmaine, shared good news with us: a month ago, she was accepted into transitional housing where she will live for a year while she looks for permanent housing. She has a private room and shares a common area and kitchen with a number of veterans. She is very happy with the arrangements and remarked about how nice and quiet the veterans are.
We distributed many socks, hats and gloves at our spot and as we walked the block around Madison Square Garden. We gave a woman a pair of socks and she told us how happy she was to receive them, noting that she would be able to put on a clean pair of socks the next day.
At the end of the evening, three men – Jersey, Naz and Poppy – approached us looking for food and any warm clothing we had to offer. We were out of food but gave them granola bars, hats, socks and warm vests. Poppy and Naz are father and son. The three live under a tarp near 33rd street and were extremely grateful for what we gave them.
Thank you to the donors, supporters and volunteers of the Soup Run. We could not feed and clothe so many every month without the kindness and generosity of our extended community. This month we express gratitude to our supporters from across Westchester County, Queens and New York City:
- Carolyn & Stefano Sandano for their sponsorship
- Manny Louros and Zachary Karounos for preparing sandwiches; Basil Apostle and Kelly Sisco for packing
- Sandwiches – Kathryn Papataros
- Minos Samoladas for his generous donation which enabled us to purchase clothing
- NYPD for their presence and support
- National Philoptochos for hundreds of shirts and jackets
- Ron Nicholas & Gleason Paint https://paintplaceny.com/location/gleason-paint-place/ for 60 Vests
- Melina Morris and Bombas (https://bombas.com/) for socks and T-shirts
- AHEPA for rearranging their monthly schedule to join the Soup Run
- May Vlachos (St. George NYC) for clothing and the Mental Health Clinic guide, including upcoming Soup Run dates
- Constance Mavrovitis and Cynthia Herzegovitch for organizing the clothing
- Georgeann Mavrovitis and Loredana Soravito Curtis for preparing the toiletry kits
Remember those who are hungry and experiencing homelessness. Offering just one meal to the next hungry person you see makes a difference. Please join us next month on February 27, 2020.
PS – Donations of backpacks, gloves and size 11, 12 and 16 men’s sneakers are needed.